Yup. This week has been disastrously stressful for not only me, but everyone I'm really close to as well.
You know what make makes it allll better?
EATING CHEESE FOR DINNER.
It's time for another recipe post, amigos.
You're gonna want to bookmark this babaaay.
|AKA Broccoli Cheddar Soup.|
- 2 cups diced celery (about 4 stalks)
- 1 medium or large yellow onion, diced
- 2 large carrots, finely grated
- 3 tablespoons butter or veggie oil
- generous amounts of salt & pepper
- 1/2 cup cornstarch (or sub 1 cup flour if you reeeally have to, and double the amount of butter/veggie oil)
- 2 cups half & half
- 3 to 4 cups veggie broth (depending on how thick you want it)
- 1 lb chopped broccoli (frozen or fresh)
- 12 oz. cheddar cheese (the sharper the better)
1) Begin by chopping out your angst on the veggies. DIE, celery, DIE, into tiny little chunks.
...Watch your fingers.
|Look at how HEALTHY we are! *patting myself on the back|
3) Remove from heat, and add the corn starch gradually while stirring.
4) This is where it starts getting exciting (i.e. the calories go through the roof). Turn the burner back up to medium, put the pot back on it, and add the half & half and the veggie broth.
There will be some cornstarch-butter business coating the bottom of the pan. Make sure to scrape this off, or it will burn and make the entire soup taste like DEVASTATING TRAGEDY.
5a) Let it cook & thicken for 25 minutes. Check back every ten minutes or so to stir it & scrape the bottom (just in case). If it's starting to boil & froth at the top, turn it down a few notches.
5b) While you stir it: add salt, stir, taste, & repeat. Basically, add salt until it tastes as good as it smells. This will be a scary amount of salt. That's okay.
Try not to "taste" the entire pot away. (Because then you have to eat the broccoli all by itself and that's just not as fun.)
6) Add the broccoli & cook for about 10 minutes, until it's unfrozen/cooked to softness.
7) Meanwhile, find something really distracting to do because it smells AWESOME by now.
Oh HEY! You have some cheese to grate, don't you? Grate it. Aaand I listed 2 extra ounces in the ingredient list so you can snack a bit. You are so welcome.
|"Cheese Mountain." Also could have been the name of my blog. 'Cause I'm so cheesy. PAAAhahaha. Ha.|
9) Happy weekend.
Anybody else have a super weird week?
What are you doing to shake it off?